The Malana Youth at Risk Centre (YARC) is a specialist homelessness service based in Launceston that provides temporary accommodation and care tailored to the specific needs of unaccompanied children and young people aged between 12 and 15 years. It provides 24 hour short to medium term accommodation, and specialist homelessness support 7 days a week.
The Centre shares the vision of the Tasmanian Child and Youth Wellbeing Framework, which recognises the need to work in partnership with families, community services and the broader community to improve the wellbeing of vulnerable children and young people in Tasmania.
The team work closely with the Advice and Referral Line (ARL), YFCC Services, partners, services providers and other community services to provide holistic support.
We will support children and young people in our service:
- to strengthen family connections as needed and wherever possible and safe
- to build their emotional, interpersonal and resilience skills
- assistance to engage in or maintain their education or training
- identify opportunities and support the engagement in, community activities
- where returning to the care of family is not safe or possible, build capacity of their young person to transition to an alternative safe and stable place to live.